I had my first social dilemma in vegansim today. I was at my weekly bible study where our gracious hosts make us dinner. Growing up in the south, it’s good manners to eat food that is offered to you, even if you’ve already eaten. I had grabbed a sandwich from Subway, but I still felt obligated to eat something.
A young lady in our group had brought multi-grain bread which looked absolutely delicious. I didn’t want to make a scene, so I pulled her aside to ask for the ingredients in the bread. She politely inquired, “Do you have an egg allergy?” I simply told the truth that I was doing a project to explore veganism. Not only was she kind enough to check ingredients, she took a genuine interest in the project. Fingers crossed that she becomes another member!
I learned today that people will be more interested to hear about your #30DayVeganPledge if you are honest and considerate. Don’t ress the topic, but leave it in the air for discussion where the other person can decide if they want to talk about it or not. The key is to remain professional and have answers to questions prepared, much like the questions I’ve researched here. No one ever made friends by condemnation. You may have chosen a kind diet, but remember that not everyone holds your values. The first rule of veganism is compassion.
Loaded Sweet Potato
- Two medium sweet potatoes
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 bunch kale
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Green Goddess Dressing to serve
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a fork, poke multiple holes into both sweet potatoes. Place potatoes in oven and bake for about 45-60 minutes, or until tender.
- In the meantime, heat olive oil over medium heat in medium saucepan. Add garlic and cook for a couple minutes, until fragrant and before browns. Add kale and toss to coat. Add 1/3 cup water and cover for five minutes. Remove cover, toss kale, reduce heat, and cook for another 15 minutes or until kale is desired texture, adding more water as needed..
- Add beans to kale and cook until warmed. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cut sweet potatoes in half lengthwise. Top with black beans, kale, and the Green Goddess Dressing.
Weight: 212.4 lb (-1.0 change)
Fasting Blood Glucose Level: 101
Blood Pressure: 116/76
Resting Heart Rate: 87
Total Calorie Intake: 1361 230/33/58*
*”Total Calories per Day” “Carbs/Fat/Protein” The ultimate goal is 1800 calories per day with a macronutrient split of 225/60/90.